New Book

This is going to be my attempt at writing a book. Wish me luck. Please leave only positive feedback.

Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Chapter 4

What a restless night! The dreams were vivid and full of meaning. I know the long meeting triggered them with the elders yesterday and the need to understand what I can do. There is a lot that they seem to think that I will be able to do and should do for them. They think that I had cast a spell of some sort to start the process of the greening of the valley. Unfortunately I have no idea how I did that, or even if it something that I can control. I do believe that some things should be worked for, not just given. The harder you work towards a goal the better you feel about reaching your goal, and the better you feel about yourself. If you are just given what you want then you don’t appreciate what you’re given as much as if you had to earn it. Let’s see if I can make sense of my dreams.

The dream starts off in this valley, as it was when I had first settled here, beautiful, green, and full of life. Homes throughout the floor of the valley, some of which are no longer standing, the spirits in the homes are content. There is great harmony in the whole valley, the animals, birds, people and spirits all in symphonic harmony. Then as time goes on there is a single sour note, and this spreads through the plants, animals, and birds, finally going to the spirits, homes, and people. The valley then looks like it did when I first looked at it after waking up, no longer harmonious or even in tune with itself. Homes that have decayed and no longer a memory in the living, plants and animals that have left the valley, not even the people are living in peace with the spirits of their ancestors, nothing in tune with anything else. The sourness must be when the sisters captured me; their anger caused disharmony to spread. The blighted area on the south side of the valley represents that disharmony. Regaining the harmony needed in order to prosper will be difficult. The spirits are looking forward to the coming changes, the people are afraid of the change that is coming. I will have to find a way of easing their fears. Now I understand why the music room is now open.

The dream that involved my captors has more the flavor of memories. These dreams are fading fast; all I am left with is the feeling of fear from them, of their threats and demands. What they fear I am not sure, I don’t know that they feared me or something else, their threats though were directed towards me. They are wanting something from me, what it is I’m not sure. I am left with vague feelings of their wanting me to tell them where something is. All I can think of is where my home is; yet I don’t think that was what they were really after. Again I get the fleeting feeling that there is something I should know, yet can’t quite grasp.

It is time to get up; today is going to be very full. The edges of the blighted area need to be explored to determine how to bring health back to that area. In getting the few things that I brought with me I notice that there is now a wooden flute. I did not have when I left my home, nor when I went to bed last night. Where did this come from? The elders told me that music has not been heard or allowed in this valley for centuries. It seems that my captors hated music. A room set-aside entirely for the playing and singing of music would shock them. I know that music is very good for healing pain and sorrow. Will that be part of the healing for the blighted area? If so, it will make everyone anxious.

I can feel the anxiety getting thicker in the house as I go down to breakfast. "Aleatha, Marta, what is wrong? Why is everyone so tense?"

They exchange glances before Aleatha answers. "There are now songbirds in the valley. No one has ever heard them in the valley before. There was also coyotes howling during the night. There are quite a few people that believe these are bad omens, Cyril is among them. Meelos and Trina are sure that this is a sign of positive change for everyone. You are either being blamed or praised for these changes, depending on who you talk to. My mother and I believe this is a step in the right direction."

"I can understand why there is fear. Change can be hard for people to accept, they see change as bad, and they fear the unknown. The changes that will come because of me will benefit everyone here in the valley. Music will promote harmony and well being in everyone and everything. I know that my captors banned music because they wanted discord. Everyone is now used to living in that discord and living in harmony is unusual. There will be even more music by the end of the day."

"Cyril will try to stop you from using music. He will not understand why you will need to use it if you have to," Marta says worriedly.

"I understand your worry, that is why Cyril will come with us. That way he can see first hand what good music can do. Music won’t be the only thing that I will use. I will know more when I see the blighted area. Aleatha, are you ready to go? We will collect Cyril on our way out of the village."

"As we approach the area, I want you both to keep your eyes and ears open as well as your minds. I will need to know what you see, hear and feel in order to figure out how best to heal the blight."

The birds are singing, bees are buzzing, and there are butterflies. I can feel the plants and animals rejoicing in the return of growth and harmony. Even the air smells fresh and clean. Even Cyril has a slight smile on his face. It is hard to be cynical and mistrustful on a beautiful spring day. "See Cyril, music is good for the heart."
As we get nearer to the blight the birds stop singing, there are no flowers, and very little growing at all. There is a definite edge to where the blight begins and the growth ends. The plants closest to the beginning of the blight are withered and yellow, the way the whole valley had been until yesterday, just inside the blight the plants are brown and dead. Looking farther into the area what plant life there was is black, until there is nothing left except dirt and rocks. I feel bitterness, anger, and hatred, all very numbing. "What impressions do the two of you have of this area?"

"What I feel is anger and fear. It seems to be following you as you walk along the edge. Anger because you wouldn’t give in and fear because you are very strong," Aleatha states with concern. "There also seems to be amazement and awe that you were able to withstand all that you were put through."

"Humph," says Cyril. "What I feel is hatred towards what you stand for, or at least what they thought you stood for. There is also confusion as to why the people in this valley would keep their silence. The sisters thought that the villagers knew what they were trying to learn from you, thought that they knew your secret. Which is what? What is your secret?"

I wish I knew what it was. As of yet that part of my memory has yet to return. What I do know is that whatever this secret is, no one else would have known what it was.

"Now then let’s figure out a way to get rid of the anger, hate, and malice that has poisoned this part of the valley for so long. Once we have done that, the cave where I was held captive should be exposed. We may even have to dispel the hate and anger from there as well. We will need the help of several people. We will need to put fire pits every few feet around the outside edge of the blighted area, with at least two people to man each fire. We will need to collect fragrant wood for the fires, incenses, and flowers, as well as the musical instruments that are now in the homes that are standing as well as the ones that aren’t standing any longer. Cyril I need you to gather twenty people, each will man a fire pit. Have them gather mesquite and pine that is ready to burn. Aleatha I want you to gather the children. Have the younger ones gather all the purple, pink, and yellow flowers that they can find. Send the older children around to collect the instruments from the places where homes had once stood." Having returned to the village as plans were made, I find Trina with those that have found instruments in their homes.

"I do hope," queries Trina, "that these instruments are here because they are needed. They were found in these peoples homes after you left this morning."

"Yes they are needed. And I do believe that the ones who found them will actually be able to play them. There is something I need for you to do for me, Trina; I need you to pick out twenty people to man the fire pits with the people that Cyril is choosing. Have them gather sage that is not quite dried. Have a couple of young women collect incenses, they will need to get sandalwood, jasmine, and lavender. Have everyone gather in the Village Square in two hours. Once everything and everyone is gathered I will outline the plan to turn the blighted area back into a beautiful part of this valley once again."

There was a flurry of activity throughout the whole village. People gathering wood, flowers, incense, and instruments. I could tell whom Trina had picked; they are all as open-minded and optimistic as she is. The people that Cyril picked are just as cynical and skeptical as he is. A very good mixture of temperaments indeed, just what was needed. Those that had instruments were trying to play them, and the children had baskets full of flowers. It is good to see the children laughing and playing; even some of the adults are smiling with them.

"I’m glad to see everyone is here. Now I know that you are all wondering what is going to happen and why everyone needs to be involved. In answer to the second part, for all that are skeptical that this will work, what better way to find out than with your own eyes and ears. It is easier to believe what you see and hear for yourself than it is when you are just told about it. The anger, hate, and sorrow that the blighted area has been generated from have been there for a very long time. It will take everyone to ease these emotions.
"For every fire there will be one person that Cyril has picked and one person that Trina has picked. The ones from Cyrils' group will make sure the fires keep burning with pine and Mesquite, and the people that Trina has picked will make sure that there is always sage on the fire. The flowers are to be sprinkled around the outer edge of the area. The incense will be burned between the fires. Those with instruments will play from their hearts, and those who feel like singing should do so. Don’t worry about what the notes or words are, they will come to you. We all need to believe in ourselves and in each other.

"At first, the anger, hate, and sorrow will become worse, and directed outward. The focus should be more towards me, hold fast to the knowledge that it will get better. I will be giving forgiveness and love to the sisters who had held me captive. Hopefully their spirits will accept the forgiveness and love that I am offering. Once they do the blight will recede. It will take time for that area to show the kind of growth that the rest of the valley has shown. Let’s get up thee and get this process started."

It wasn’t too long after reaching the blight and getting the fires started that the blackness in the blight intensified. It seemed to spread out over a large part of the valley. The anger and hate grew stronger again after the music and singing started. It still hadn’t focused on anyone, which was good. It wasn’t until I started reaching out to forgive and be forgiven that I was made a target of all the hate and anger that the sisters’ had felt for me. I forgave them each for their anger against me, for not bending to their will. I gave them in return the love that was needed then and now. Storm clouds built up inside the blight giving only thunder, lightening, and wind. The people stayed strong, didn’t let the wind blow out the fires, and didn’t let the thunder and lightening frighten them away. As the night wears on, I can see a glow of strength, love, and forgiveness around everyone. The more I forgave the glow around everyone grew stronger and started to weave together. As the weaving grew stronger it started to cover the blighted area with the love and forgiveness that was the essential force in the weaving. Morning drew near there was a huge sob from the blight and the blackness inside collapsed and the weaving of love and forgiveness settled gently on the ground covering the area that was in need of healing.

I can no longer feel anger, hate, or fear from this area. It will take quite some time before this part of the valley will be back to normal. Everyone is exhausted and happy, returning to their homes holding hands with arms around each other, even Cyril. Looking up towards the edge of the valley here I can see the small opening of a cave. This will have to be explored; after we have all gotten some rest.

I still feel the tickling at the back of my mind. Is it a forgotten memory? The thought from someone else? I can’t focus on it, every time I try it slips away again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.