New Book

This is going to be my attempt at writing a book. Wish me luck. Please leave only positive feedback.

Monday, November 01, 2004

Chapter 1

I woke clear-headed for the first time in who knows how long. I realized that I must appear to be unclear and unknowing of what is going on around me. The ones, who had been blocking my thoughts, keeping me from thinking were gone. But for how long? And how far did they go? Or were they dead? I have never been left alone before without adequate protection from my own powers. Those that strove to over power me could not complete the job. I had been kept mentally and physically restrained. Now my mind was clear, and the memories have ages are returning. Yet I must not give away that I can think clearly. I must order my thoughts and cover them with haze.

How can this be? I am no longer physically restrained either! Must appear to be waking slowly and still be groggy. My own room comes into focus. What treachery is this? How have I been returned here? I must remain calm. I must retain the look of placitude and slight confusion until I can be certain of who is here with me.

"Well, good morning sleepyhead. You have finally opened your eyes. Don’t worry, I am not here to hurt you." The girl that stands by my bed is quite pretty. I don’t dare yet to tap into my own powers to tell who she is or her age. I will have to bide my time until I know for sure that she is here to help me and not a new threat. "Lets set you up a little bit so that you can better see where you are. There we are, now isn’t that better?" She looks so familiar.

I am so thirsty; do I dare ask for water? It is a simple request even for someone who is not of clear mind. "C-c-can I h-h-have s-s-some w-w-water?" I have not spoken for a long time; it is difficult to form the words. I hope I have not given myself away with such a simple request.

"Of course, how silly of me not to think of it. Here you go, drink slowly. There, that’s better. I know you must have a lot of questions. I know I would if I were in your position. Don’t worry, those that held your mind are long gone. They withered their own minds away trying to keep yours clouded. They didn’t heed your lessons about over stressing your mind. It seems that by the time they realized that others should have been trained it was to late. No one could understand what they were teaching because they could not show their students what the technique was. Your mind was more powerful than any of theirs. It is still unclear why they wanted to silence your mind. What is clear is that you cannot die, and it seems your home cannot be destroyed either."

"Thank you for the water. Tell me more." My mind is clearing still; my voice is coming back slowly. I had been told when I came into my full self that whatever I called home would remain untouched as long as I lived. I had always hoped that would be true. How long did they keep me in a state of confusion? How many years have passed? I am very weak. I must keep my mind and thoughts guarded still until I know what has happened.

"Let me get you something to eat first, then I will tell you more." She is very caring. I still can’t place who she is. Did I ever know her? "Her you go. I know it isn’t much, but you will be able to keep this down. Now take your time, I’m not sure when you actually ate last.

"You were brought back to your home when I was still a small girl. By that time the four sisters that had imprisoned your mind and body had either died or gone insane with the strain of keeping you captive. The last one died ten years ago. My mother watched over you and would write down every little detail about you. Your sleep patterns, whether or not you dreamed, and when you seemed closer to wakefulness. There were times when we were all afraid that you would slip into the next world and leave us unguarded. I knew that you wouldn’t leave this world unprotected." That was something else I remembered I could not die and leave this world unprotected. I am the last of my kind. Can I truly trust her and those in her village? How many can be trained?

"When my father became ill my mother was the only one in the village strong enough to care for him. The only one that could bring him back to health. I had come of age at that time; I was not strong enough to heal him. So my mother taught me how to care for you. It has been my duty since then to care for you. No one was sure that you would ever wake up. I knew that you would. I have been your caretaker ever since." Well, at least twenty years could be accounted for. Just how many years did these sisters have me imprisoned before then? I still don’t dare to let my thoughts go unprotected. There might be others looking for me, even if they aren’t strong enough to keep me mentally fogged they could keep me physically bound. I don’t want that to happen again.

"The food was delicious, thank you. Can you please tell me, what should I call you?" Since she hasn’t introduced herself, giving a true name is still a taboo. I can’t remember what my name is; it has been so long since there was anyone I could tell.

"Here, let me take the tray. You can call me Aleatha. Don’t get up too fast, you have been bed-ridden for so long. There is a ward on this room; it only covers a small portion of the room. It has taken four people to protect you at all times. No one is certain if there is anyone else that is looking to harm you. Everyone in the village has taken turns at keeping the ward up for the last week. I could feel your mind waking up, and then I saw signs that your body was following. The only ward that any of us now is a ward of silence, I only hope that it is enough to keep you safe."

"Aleatha. That is a very pretty name. Thank you for taking care of me all these years. Who taught you the ward that you are using?" This ward has the feel of Galta, one of my captors. Is there anyone that can sense the mental strength of another? Let’s see if she can tell when I put my own guard down, see if she can sense a portion of my strength.

"The ward was taught to the village when my mother was still a girl. From what I understand Galta taught it to the elders. She wasn’t able to teach anyone the full ward, so the only time it was ever used was when someone was ill and we wanted to keep the sick room quiet. I can feel—something—from you, I’m not sure what though." Her mind is strong, yet mostly untrained. This girl has promise. Maybe she will let me train her, after I get my strength back.

"That’s what I thought, the ward had the feel of Galta. What you feel, Aleatha, is my mind. I put my guard down just a little bit. Those that are keeping the ward up can let it go while I am awake. It will be a few days before I can keep my own guard up while I sleep. I can sense that you have a great talent that has not yet been tapped. I could help you reach your potential if you will let me." I need to teach as I relearn all my own powers and strengths. I feel an emptiness in my heart, something or someone is missing. It seems as if a part of me hasn’t awakened yet. There are so many things that I have forgotten, things that I will have to rediscover. Now with that ward gone I feel my mind clearing even more. I still don’t know how long it’s been since they isolated me. "Aleatha, tell me what you know of what happened to me. How long ago was I captured?"

"Legend has it that many generations ago there were powerful beings that ruled with benevolence over the whole world. Then one was born that was more powerful than any before her. When she came into her full power she was named The Oracle. Everyone went to her for advice, blessings on crops, and for children. There were four sisters, no one knows if they were her sisters or not, they were jealous of her and all her power. They couldn’t understand why The Oracle didn’t make slaves of those that came to her. They each tried to persuade her into doing what they wanted, when that didn’t work they each tried to kill her. What these sisters didn’t know was that The Oracle couldn’t die, so each one failed at their attempts. The Oracle didn’t wait for people to come to her; she would frequently travel to those that needed her most. One day she came upon a valley, in this valley she made her home. It was a quiet little valley where no one lived, where she could go to be by herself occasionally. The sisters found her little valley and decided that they should band together in order to defeat her. They waited until she was asleep one night and first threw powerful wards over her then bound her, and took into a cave where they thought she would eventually die. They had underestimated her strength and had to keep up the wards and keep her bound. I’ve told you how they went mad and died. There is one part that I haven’t told yet, as each of the sisters went mad each believed that The Oracle had gained even more strength from a bond to something else. This is going to sound strange, but they believed that she had been bonded to a dragon since before she was born, only they didn’t know where this dragon was. Everyone says that there wasn't any dragons, just that the sisters couldn’t believe that anyone could be that strong.

"To answer your question, I would be honored if you would teach me. You must get some rest though; you need to gather your strength. Enough stories for now." It has been centuries then. My story has become legend.

Bonded to a dragon? Is that what is missing?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.